Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Primitive Bedspring Sunflower

Here's a craft I made today. The inspiration comes from Char at The Pickled Pepper Patch and Denise at The Krazy Krafty Lady. I combined both their tutorials and came up with a cute little sunflower,too!
Now, first of all, I had YARDS of this muslin I bought at a yard sale for something like a quarter or fifty cents. I tried to dye it dark mustard yellow, but all I wound up with was some dirty looking butter color! Okay, so plenty of fabric for sunflowers there...what about the center? I was looking for something black and white, and I'd used some nice checked cotton in a Lone Star quilt for my son. And I needed some green to tie under the sunflower when I was finished. Guess what?? I couldn't move enough of my treasures stored in the Green Room out of the way to find the fabric I kept for emergencies( like an "I gotta make a few dozen quilts" emergency) so what could I do? Why, I took a pair of Hoss' shorts that were a nice beige and black plaid, of course! Way to give it up for the cause, Hoss! (I'll tell him later when I decide to show him what I made, or maybe he can just find out by reading my blog)
I had about a cup of coffee left over, so I poured it into a plastic bowl, added some vanilla and sprinkled in some cinnamon, and added some apple-cinnamon scent to it. Couldn't find the ground cloves or ginger, or that would've gone in there,too!






And here are the 2 finished.



The first one I made x's in the center with black quilting thread(by the way that's what I sewed it up with) which reminded me of an old hand-tied quilt, and that gave me the idea to tie the other one.
The second one I decided to add some knotted thread to after it was finished, then I rubbed some more of the stain finish on the thread. I really like how that one looks, the off white thread looks really nice,too.
And this gave me another idea...I have some torn old quilted pieces, and I think I'll try this for some more bedspring sunflowers, or maybe a bouquet of them.
Thanks for the inspiration!
kudzu

9 comments:

AngelMc said...

cool---very cool.

Denise * KKL Primitives said...

Your sunflowers turned out wonderfully!!! I really like the 'hand tied quilt' look to the centers!! Hoss' shorts make a great center! :)

Denise
The Krazy Kraft Lady
Prim Patterns 'n Handmades
KKL Primitives

Linda said...

Your bedspring sunflowers turned out wonderful.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Oh that is really cute!!!! Great job!!!!

Chic Cottage Junk said...

Oh these are simply wonderful and fun! Funny about not being able to get to the fabric you had stashed away! Sounds like my junk room. LOL. Thanks for the tutorial - I just might put my own spin on a couple ... when I get around to it!

Sue

Kudzu said...

Thanks ya'll! Tonight I used a whipped topping lid to cut out more yellow circles, then taught my 5 year old grandson to stack 6 circles together and pin it...yay,math! I'm hoping to find one of the old quilts for the next craft :D
kudzu

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Wow, I love how that turned out. You did a lovely job.

FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

I love the way this flower turned out! Getting ready to make more on sticks for a lovely sunflower bouquet!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. How did you secure the flowers to the spring?