Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What'll I Make Next?? See If You Can Guess; And A Quick Way To Clean Silver

First of all, let's clean some silver plated stuff and get it out of the way. I needed to just touch up some silver plate the other day to finish up wind chimes, but I'd also bought a few pieces at a yard sale. I took a before and after photo of a nice serving set to show you.


Nice .....don't look at my thumb....lol! This set cost me $1. It says Tupperware Rose on the back. That's made by Wm. Rogers Mfg. Co.; 1955. This site says a salad fork is worth $12.50 each. Well, hummm..


After I tried the method of lining a glass pan with aluminum foil and adding baking soda...which really didn't work so well...maybe my stuff was REALLLLLY dirty...and it stunk...*kof*kof*...I got out a tube of toothpaste and tried to buff them a little with that. After a while I realized we had some toothpaste with baking soda...*lightbulb!*....and got that out. Looky looky!....didn't rub hard at all..I used a damp cloth ( one of Hoss' old socks) and got a bit of toothpaste and it cleaned it very quickly and no scratching. So I decided to keep this set, at least for a while. No wind chimes any time soon out of them!

********************

So......what am I up to??? I took photos of my pile of junk while I thought of the "how-to's". I want to be able to cut nice neat holes in the bottoms of these tins. I JUST had one of those church-key can openers IN MY HAND two days ago. I don't know where I put it. I even ventured out of the house to the two dollar stores nearby where you expect to find things like old-timey punch can openers. ( that reminds me.......a few days ago my grandson came home from playing with friends who have an old tire swing in their back yard. He says "whoa Meme, that's so cool. We need an "old Tommy" swing,too. I ask him "wait..what?" and he tells me "you know, a swing, it's "old Tommy", we NEED one" I said " I don't know "old Tommy" and he says..exasperated....."Meme.......that just means it's OLD...like it's "old-Tommy", you know, a tire? we need one") hehehe LOLOL.....
where was I at? oh yeah......so I didn't get any holes punched. I remember a long time ago when you'd go to the Service Station they'd check the oil, for free. If you needed any, they got a round metal can of oil and used this funnel/can opener thing. I guess they're "old Tommy" now. I need one. Wouldn't that make perfect holes in my tins?


Here's a photo of where I'm at at this point. I dug out some old round tins we were putting in the community yard sale, and sprayed them all with Rustoleum Crystal Clear to keep them from rusting and fading too much. And under the oatmeal tin is 2 aluminum pie tins I bought at a yard sale for a quarter for the both of them. Then I pulled out a few old enamel lids, and those look really great with them. Now what am I going to use to get some nice neat holes in the bottom outside edge of the tins? I'd love some tips and advice!


You probably guessed what this is going to be!! Don't faint..these are all NEW items (new-ISH..they have bar codes on them) I bought them at yard sales for next to nothing! Look.....there are holes in the handles of the spoons.....hummmmm...

Ya'll check back later to see what I finally make.


***************************************


SAUCIER COMMUNITY YARD SALE
SATURDAY APRIL 17, 2010
8AM- 2PM
ALL ALONG CHURCH STREET FROM THE SENIOR CITIZEN'S CENTER
TO THE METHODIST CHURCH (1 BLOCK WEST OF HWY 49)
IN DOWNTOWN SAUCIER,MS
COME SELL YOUR STUFF
FREE YARD SALE SPACES
CRAFTS AND TREASURES
CATFISH LUNCHES 11AM-2PM
AT THE METHODIST CHURCH


******************************************************************

have fun!
kudzu

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh, I'm seeing it!!

How big of a hole are you thinking? A drill with a metal drill bit?

The JR said...

I'm guessing more wind chimes.